The Denver Botanic Gardens had a free day on Earth Day, and so I took the kids down. I saw a cute little nook and said, boys, let me take your picture (kids love nooks), never noticing the little sign. But hey, if they listen to me, they might be slightly rebellious like their mother anyways.
Here is an example of them copying me, are we in trouble or what?
After we were done at the gardens, I decided we should walk around the little neighborhood nearby, the very wealthy neighborhood nearby...and this is where their poor souls were really indoctrinated. They saw a home for sale and suggested we buy it, at first I said, "This costs a little over 25 times what ours does", then I laughingly said, "I would never step on my fellow man enough to get the money to live in a house like this"...yes, I do fear I'm a bit of a commie...but, they didn't know what I meant so then I said, "You guys are my wealth."
You know what they say,"Children are the poor man's wealth."
Then, to try and tell them something positive, I said on the way home, "If you are good and righteous on earth, Heavenly Father makes you a mansion in Heaven"...and thought to myself, "and he said that it's really hard to go to Heaven if you have a huge mansion on earth."
I like to joke with myself, but the jury is still out on how I feel about wealth. I have concluded it's not likely I will be rich, but on the flip side, I would take the money if alot were handed to me. In the meantime, I hope Sam and Isaac don't ask me questions about money, because I don't have the answers.
Then I drove home and watched the most terribly beautiful storm, and my camera couldn't even give it justice, and all I can say is, blessed are the poor, for they shall inherit the earth, and it is prettier than a mansion. Plus, I might not have seen it if I was in an office, watching 4 computers with stock tickers and dumping rolaids.

7 comments:
The scripture is "Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth." Not, blessed are the poor...
"Poor" and "Meek" are two VERY different terms.
poor makes you meek, that's for sure...
Yes, it's possible, but being poor usually doesn't make a person gentle and kind.
Love this post Stacy and I love you!! :D Your kids are just the cutest.
So what are you getting at sister? It sounds like you want to say something more, go ahead, you know I can take it.
I hope you understand my post is about not knowing how I feel about money and laughing at myself and my poor kids. It's all in good fun.
"I would never step on my fellow man enough to get the money to live in a house like this"
Just because someone has a nice house does not mean that they "stepped on their fellow man." I know the post isn't meant to be political, but statements like that and the one about you being a bit of a commie, is.
We are not wealthy, but we have friends that are. They have not "stepped on their fellow man" to get there.
What I'm trying to get at, is you can't judge that way without knowing the circumstances. And everyone that has money is not evil.
And the way you quoted the bible verse was wrong. Being poor, does not make you meek, neither does having money make you wealthy.
I'm trying to provoke you to think about the other side a little. There's been a LOT happen in my life that has changed my way of thinking, and I try to see both sides before I take a stance.
Steph,
Thanks for elaborating, I could tell you were bothered but couldn't figure out why. I think it's a context and humor issue, and one downfall of writing, especially an everyday ungood writer like me, is you can't always get the gist of what you mean out.
I tried to portray that I was laughing at myself by implying "my poor kids" and the outrageous silly stuff I think. And when I say it I know it's outrageous and silly, and I laugh and think I'm funny...kinda what this post is about, kinda about how we all think about money sometimes and our place.
Anyways, I think you took it a little more literally than I intended. One thing that is different about us is how we joke.
Anyways, I hope you know I was laughing at myself, because I knew it was extreme, like calling myself a commie too.
I have some richies I admire too.
Although I do believe money is finite and for some to have more others have to have less, I don't think it's that simple...or that one directly steps on another to obtain it, I was just using humor to get to another point (and maybe not well-I'll give you that) I do think about money sometimes, like everyone else does and I thought this story would cast a humorous view on it.
Anyways, I hope that helps you. Who knows though it's just more writing :).
Post a Comment