So, I see from response that I have set off some feelings with some people. I think the measure of a man is how well he can hear another's opinion and not deride them. So,maybe instead of responding to attacks, I feel like the best thing I can do is too clarify just the most important thought I have, and to me, it's health care. First, I will say how I've shaped my opinion, it's personal. I have a sister who's husband owns his own company. They have no special health care problems outside of middle age and allergies. However, being responsible citizens they have bought there own insurance, at the rate of $900 a month now. Their deductible per person per year is $1000. She has had to pay $5000 to have two of her babies and found out today it's actually going to be $6500 next year. I am sure that if anything ever happens where they actually really need their insurance they will be kicked off. Most people with those situations have to choose between being unemployed or being poor enough for medicaid(sorry, sometimes I get medicare and medicaid confused-I mean the one that is available for low income, not the one for old people). One would say, go get a job with a big employer. And, maybe that is an option individually, but it isn't an option for America because big employers simply don't offer enough jobs for us all to work for them. And thank goodness we have lots of people who work for themselves or start companies. Lastly, I know what my sister goes through is not isolated. It is the case for a lot of people who must buy their own insurance. Competition hasn't helped. She has found it's just as much everywhere else, or they won't accept them at all.
I also have a friend with a grave illness because of a tainted transplant she received in the 70's as a baby. She again doesn't want to live in medicaid range, so they stay employed with a major employer, but because of her illness is so costly she purchases excess insurance and they spend around $2,000.00 on health care a month. She spends on average 5 hours a week on the phone just to get claims paid.
So I thought, what if everyone is right? What if socializing our health care brings down quality? I made a personal choice that if it did a little it would be okay for me. I would sacrifice a little to see good health care more available to others, not just those in certain big companies or wealthy enough never to have a limit.
Lastly, Canada and many European countries have socialized government run systems (which is different from the Obama plan, and Massachusetes), but I wonder if those who say their system sucks and come to America (I am assuming they are wealthy if they can come pay cash in the American system)....If they would be willing to live our system as it is lived by a lot of people. For instance would they draw a card based on income and whether they were self employed, worked for a big employer, or needed a lot of health care (like transplants) and live with those results as a lot of Americans do and still say that we have the best system?
I am lucky, my husband works for a big employer and when I did the math, about 15% of our income(not including the employer paid portion of insurance) goes toward health care. However, in order to limit costs, I joined an HMO. I do have limits. I can't go to just any doctor. I can't go to only but a few hospitals. I know that there are certain treatments my insurance won't cover. I know I have a lifetime limit and if things really got bad, I would hit it pretty easily. I don't think I have more options than people in socialized medical care countries.
I don't know what percentage of taxes we would have to pay to have a system, but even if it went up to 20 percent I think it would be similar. I can't remember the number, but I think that the employer pays at least the same amount that we do, if not more, so really, some would say it takes up 30 percent of our income. So I'm sure it would cost a lot of money, but doesn't it already?
I didn't like McCain's health care plan because I don't think the tax credit is nearly what it costs to purchase your own insurance. I know a few people who do, and it doesn't even come close.
I still haven't decided which health care plan I like better, The Obama plan....which is an employer mandate, supplemented by a national plan for those who can't buy their own...or outright Universal Coverage (closer to Canadian and European plan). But I would role the dice over what is available for a lot of people today.
I just think too many people don't get the care they need or pay way to much for nothing. I don't think that the system will take care of itself. It only seems to get worse.
So I hope that clarify's my opinion and maybe even create some understanding. I think logic is just as good as sources because although I wouldn't call myself a debater anymore, I did learn from that experience you can find a source for about anything you want to say, it doesn't necessarily legitimize you. We used to pick an opinion and then find someone who said something to agree with our thoughts.... and we always did. But even if you disagree, I won't accept that my opinion is ignorant or hastily approached.
Thursday, November 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
I am thoroughly confused as to where you thought I said that your opinions were "ignorant or hastily approached," or anything similar. I am just challenging your opinions, so I can learn from your positions.
I agreed that the Health Care Crisis is not going to fix itself. I have seen first hand in the Urgent Care Clinic of people with outrageous copays/deductibles. I have seen what the lack of health care or not enough health care can do. I'm just saying that I don't think what they are proposing is the answer. One of the links I attached alluded to the idea that there will be many more proposals come forth. Hopefully, there will be a good solution.
Unfortunately, one of the things that comes with employer mandated insurance, is the fact that their cost WILL be passed along whether it be to the employee themselves, or at the very least the consumer, driving up prices. Have you tried to buy cottage cheese lately? :)
It's interesting that you would say you would sacrifice a little good health care to make it available to all, but who's health care quality do we sacrifice... Yours? Mine? Our families? And how much do we sacrifice? How do we tell the neighbor next door that he is too old to have a bypass, or dialysis because we have to sacrifice something?
I have enjoyed the political banter, and look forward to your response... But I can't figure out, what attacks?
Martin Luther King Jr said: "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
Love you sis!
Hey Stacy, I think everyone is entitled to their very own opinion and that does not bother me. You and I voted for totally different people and that is fine, that is the beauty of this country, we can have our own opinion and voice those opinions. I'm not going to view you any differently. Its not my place to judge. I do want to apologize though because I might have been one of those people sending you emails. I send some because they're just so outrageous its hilarious to me and I guess I should explain that in some emails. So, I'm sorry if I sent you some of the annoying emails!!! But, by all means, vote for your reasons and no one else's. I know I do! :D Take care.
I completely agree with you about healthcare in this country. I equate it to the same thing as education, police services, and firefighters.... nobody seems to complain about "socialized education." And what would it be like if police services were based on a capitalist system, as a commodity? Even if the country did have universal coverage, it doesn't mean that everyone will have the same insurance. Private insurance companies will still exist, and those who can afford them can buy additional insurance to cover those things that the universal plan won't. It's the same as people sending their kids to private school; that's great if they can afford it, but there has to be a public option so that everyone has the same baseline at least. Most of our relatives think we are communists, so, welcome to the club I guess.
You know I feel like my political post has done to the blog what Rosie O'Donnel did to the view :). I kind of hate that comparison because although once in a while she's funny, I hate the arrogance of her, I can't stand to watch her. But I haven't ever had so many comments. I am glad to that some have been brave enough to post disagreeing comments.
Anyways, I do know that alot of people with chronic problems and children born with handicaps will do what they can to get on medicare/medicaid because they have more options than they would insurance.And so when I say that I would be willing to give up a little bit of care, I don't expect a universal system or employer mandate to give up providing necessary care. One thing about government, they are more subject to popular opinion and reelection and I think they will have a more moral basis for distrubiting care than simple profit (the current system). I would be really curious to hear any more ideas. I think the call for health care change is growing, so maybe more people will be thinking of care and someone might come up with something brilliant.
What I really meant is some beleive if care is universal than maybe there won't be financial motivation for people to create new technology for better care. I wonder if that will really happen. I think the medical field attracts more non money motivated people and compassionate people than other fields and I don't think it will happen on a wide scale. Most people are motivated by watching a loved one suffer, etc., etc. I think it's okay for doctors, employees, etc. that actually work should make a good living in the field. I really wonder though wether investors should make money off the healthcare field?
Oh and Natalie, I haven't got a political email from you :), unfortunately the person who is the worst offender probably won't ever read my blog.
Yummy political banter! I love it. I think our health care system problem is multi-faceted and non-partisan in its remedy. Our system is over-worked and underpaid. The insurance companies take a large portion of the money, perhaps along with administrators to off-set the costs of lawsuits and you guessed it, people who cannot pay for the health care they receive. A vast majority of those free-bee recipients are illegal aliens. This isn't a racist statistic, it's a fact. They are braking our system literally. One way to solve it, is to control the amount of free health care we give out. Sometimes that involves making tough choices. Perhaps people who come here seaking free health care verses paying in their own country, might think twice about coming here if they knew they weren't going to get free health care. We need to start by tightening and perhaps enforcing our laws already on the books regarding giving everyone free treatment no matter what. (I currently do not have exact sources for my above mentioned statistics because I am going to bed. but I will look for them if needed or requested.)
I also love you and your sister Stephenie. Sisters through and through.
Thanks Reb... I wasn't quite sure how to broach the subject of the illegals and their freebies... You are 100% right about that...
The illegal immigration is a topic for another day, but I do think it a large part of the health care issue, and would be interested in seeing the statistics if they are available (I know at our clinic, we weren't able to keep track, because of HIPPA)
So....I will say a little about this. I think health care and immigration are things that alot of people and both parties want to solve, from different angles.
I was uninsured for a few years in my early twenties. I didn't end up in the ER luckily, but I did try and get birth control when I got married. I wasn't sure about some of the positions of Planned Parenthood and tried to find doctors to look at me and give me a prescription for birth control. I found that even if I offerend to pay cash up front, noone would see me without insurance and I ended up at Planned Parenthood. So, I think that it is a good idea to have better preventative care, but you need some better avenues than the current system offers.
Lastly, I want immigration solved too, but from a little different aspects. Most of you know my husband is brown and it has given me a little different eye opening experiences on what that means. I had no idea before. So, I don't know how to make Mexico comply (they live in a culture where traditionally government has been corrupt and self serving and so laws are just oppressive and to be ignored where possible, so convincing alot of them to follow a government here is a big shift) with just laws. But most people I know in the health care industry who care for and help people wouldn't turn people away based on legal status. The oath they take is to help everyone. It's one of the nobler aspects of our society. I know others can be gate keepers, but I think images of poor souls being torn away would bother more people than not. So I don't know how we would hold back the tide that comes with us having big borders and being the land of opportunity, but I am not sure any answer to health care should focus on whom to exclude.
One might say a wall, I don't know, maybe it will help, but I was the long time girlfriend of a guy from a third world eastern european country and I sure witnessed immigration legal and illegal from all over the place, we just can't afford to wall and man the whole country. So, I don't think barring a "drain on the system" would get enough popular support and compliance from the people who actually are health care providors.
I believe the health care oath goes a little more like "first, do no harm" than to "help everyone."
(The AMA has a code of ethics, but there is, in fact, no version of the Hippocratic Oath that the AMA espouses or promotes. This is the information we have received from the AMA's Ethics Division.
While it is common knowledge among both doctors and the lay public that doctors take an oath that says, "Never do harm," the fact is that not all medical schools require their graduating doctors take the Hippocratic Oath.--- Some rather interesting info I found researching the Hippocratic oath... Here's the website
http://www.imagerynet.com/hippo.ama.html )
Right now, health care providers, where the a majority of the illegals go, are "not-for-profit" organizations. In order to keep that status, they are not allowed to turn anyone away regardless of their ability to pay.
They are also not allowed ask a patients legal status...
I think immigration should be one of your topics on the other blog, so we can further discuss this, and ideas...
Post a Comment