I have bounced back and forth about whether to put this on my blog, but recently decided what the hey. I will make a brief comment about the election. When I was a kid, I was in debate and thought I knew it all. I fought with a lot of my elders and had rude bitter comments like a know it all teenager. As an adult, in remorse, I don't say anything to anyone who I don't think agrees with me entirely about politics because I don't want to be disrespectful. I think I have gone too far the other way.
So, here is what I have to say, briefly and politely. I have endured months of emails and assumptions because of where I am from I guess, but I am tired of it...so I am waving my colors and my beliefs. Although I register unaffiliated, I am pretty much a Democrat. I have been torn because I don't think that there should be heavy government (which is a very core Republican belief), but I have felt like the Republican administrations have spent and built government programs second to none. And if you are going to build big government, at least give the people something they need. I am not sure that the Republicans are truly opposing big government. I also feel like something must be done about health care. My husband works in the system and I have seen the effect of the current health care system on so many friends and family and something has got to give, and I don't think the Republicans will do jack( I am skeptical about the McCain health care plan too-something debated in high school ;). Lastly, I really hate the immigration beliefs of the Republican base. I liked John McCain for differing from his party on the subject, but as he has bent more to satisfy his party, I wonder if he will do anything about it. I am not sure Democrats will either, but I hate the Republican tone, it feels just a little racist. Lastly, I have really done some research on Obama, and if you look at truly legitimate sources, I can't help but to totally admire his morals and beliefs. That's why I will vote for him. I think if there would be a Republican in the Whitehouse, I guess I would like McCain more than others, but I really admire Obama, and I have done my homework.
There, I'm done, and please don't send me more political emails. So far I just delete, but I might be pushed to comment more ;).
Monday, November 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
WOW! I'm glad to hear someone else from Idaho is voting democrat. I also have become a big fan of Obama! We must be the smart ones :)
You have the right to vote the way you want, but it's quite interesting to hear that you would side with someone that believes in partial birth abortions...
Here's a little more research for you, on the economy, from a fellow Democrat...
http://www.meridianmagazine.com/ideas/081017light.html
I found it quite interesting as we see our economy and "housing crisis" fluctuate.
I would also love to hear what your ideal health care plan would be... I have talked to someone from Canada, and she says "Oh yeah, bad health care for all." Is that what we really want? Yes, I agree that there needs to be something done, I don't agree that we should model ourselves after them.
How is it that the Republican's immigration tone sounds racist? Is it racist to want immigrants to come to America legally? We would not get the same treatment from any other country if we decided to "migrate" there without proper documents.
As a former debater, you do need to state your sources, other than saying they are reliable... ;) I would love to see them, so that I can do some more research myself...
Just a comment about the healthcare thing... I don't think it is after Canadas plan. More like Massachusettes ( i think)- Mitt Romney's state. A couple of months ago there was an article in the readers digest about that plan. Not to join the debate, It is just one of the things I agree with Obama about. I guess thats why there is an election, so we can all try to make good decisions and choose the best possible solution. In the end we will only have one president that no one will always agree with.
I have just done a fair amount of research on the Massachusetts Health Care Reform Plan... You are right, it is not necessarily modeled after Canada's Health Care Plan. Unfortunately, according to the Boston Globe Health Columns @ http://www.boston.com/news/health/articles/2008/02/03/subsidized_care_plans_cost_to_double/
it doesn't appear that it can financially sustain itself as once thought...
They have thought of reducing Medicaid/Medicare payments to already profitable hospitals. Sure, that would help the Medicare/Medicaid patients and funding, but those of us who actually have insurance will see the cost of our own health insurance rise making it almost impossible for us/those paying for medical insurance to avoid joining the plan or not seeking medical care.
The cuts in Medical Spending are going to cut personnel and those wanting to go "into the trade" because they can't pay back all the schooling that they've put into it... Leading to "bad health care for all."
I really do hope the Massachusetts Health Care Reform Plan works, but I also hope that we (as a Nation) don't jump blindly into a situation that is going to be worse off than we are now.
I don't know the answer myself, I just know first hand the abuses of Medicaid and the need for more money put into regulating the dishonesty of the people in the programs, that in itself would probably free up more spending than any cuts would.
Way to "not join the debate," but thank you for inspiring me to do some research...
I've also read the following article on: http://www.forbes.com/health/2008/11/05/obama-healthcare-plan-forbeslife-cx_rr_1105health.html, that have very important points on what is to come...
It will be quite interesting to see what happens, and mostly how they expect to fund this, and what they will cut to fund this...
Wow Steph, never new you were such a tiger about these things, but I really like to keep a good relationship with you, so I won't comment. I think though, I will do a post tonight about healthcare. I can't do as much research now, I just don't have time, but I listen to NPR for about an hour and a half daily and read when I can, and there are some standard things I know. Healthcare is important to me, so I will comment.
Post a Comment