So, I hope you will all spare me something I really like. Last night on PBS I watched a documentary about Monarch Butterflies. It was incredibly inspiring so I hope you will entertain my mentioning it. Not all Monarch do this, but there are the migrating Monarch butterflies that travel from Canada too Mexico in two months every year and it was so amazing and touching to watch about them it made me reflect upon my whole life.
So not only do they transform from basically a little worm, but then they make a journey from Canada and the Great Lakes area down to Mexico. They have to fly 50 miles a day to make it. They are obviously pulled by something to find their way down to one of 6 forests, but noone understands entirely how they find their way. They are beautiful creatures, but mechanically they aren't designed well to make such a huge journey. They just compensate and make it the best they can. And they are so delicate and vulnerable, it's just amazing how they make it. And, it's only the fourth generation that goes, the first three live and die in about a month going from Mexico up North, but every 4th generation they live 9 months and make this amazing journey back south again.
Anyways, I think alot of us think that we aren't designed to beat incredible odds and travel so far (or even make it through the day sanely with toddlers...let alone conquer the mess they make or teach them how to be good men ;) but it made me think of my potential as a creature made by the same God. I will try and remember them when I think I'm just not made to handle something or the odds are too great.
Well, this is my clumsy attempt at trying to potray something profound, but the pictures from Mexico of skies filled with hundreds of butterflies will never leave my mind, it makes me want to go and see it.
Friday, February 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment