So, my good friend Krista gave me a CD set to listen too about Love and Logic, and it has been sitting quietly gathering dust in a CD pile till recently.
So, I have decided to return it, and before I do, give it a listen. The basic premises is that you should let children learn from the natural consequences of their mistakes while they are young and the price tags are small so they can make good choices as adults when much bigger decisions are made.. And guess what, I really like it, and I have been working on applying some principals...and this is the recent skill in real life my dear Isaac has taught Mommy.
See, Mommy has thought it would be a good idea to teach little boys if they make a mistake, they have to clean it up. Isaac has learned well and the other day when he had an accident in his shorts of the number 2 nature. He decided he would clean it up himself.
Mommy learned a lesson based on natural consequences of the condition of Isaac and the bathroom after he attempted to clean up his own mess...
Anyways, I don't think I want Isaac doing that quite yet. Why don't they tell you before you have children how much poo will be come a day to day issue and topic?
So, I hear Isaac in the bathroom as I bring in loads of groceries..What is he doing? All I see is a little hand sticking out of the door with dripping wet nasty underwear saying see Mom, I cleaned it up. So happy and proud like. He sure did! So to the shower immediately with Isaac and then I had to face the bathroom. Poo on the toilet, floor and sink. And, I can't get mad.
I will stick with the Love and Logic though. Today Isaac learned the downside of sticking things up your nose, like...pomegranate seeds. That is after several pokes up the nose, lastly by the doctor. Wasn't fun. Probably won't do that again. And I didn't helicopter parent that one, I couldn't.
Anyways, I don't know who is learning more from this life experience of having kids, them or me...it's hard to say.
Monday, November 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I just can't stop laughing about him putting a pomegranite seed up his nose. I hope things are getting better with the baby and primary.
Love you
Post a Comment