Leelou Blogs

Monday, October 26, 2009

Three Cups of Tea

I mentioned in a post not to long back I wish I could admit to reading some great book...well I lied, I was reading a book at the time. The title of this post is the book. Anyways I read an article about the coauthor and subject of the book, Greg Mortenson, in Good Housekeeping and was really excited to get the book. I had seen the book before at Costco, but thought it was just another boring and preachy book about what to do in the middle east, boy was I wrong.

The book is inspiring about a personal journey. Greg Mortenson was a nurse and climbing junky and just really loved some Pakistani's he met who saved him after getting lost on his way down from K2 (the 2nd largest mountain in this world). He hasn't won, but was nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize this last round. I really love how he goes about things too. He doesn't build a school unless invited by village elders, the whole village contributes and he has a lot of support from the ground. It's nothing that is imposed upon anyones ideals. He is patient, and I really love his cause. The only thing he insists on is that a school will educate girls.

Below is an image from his website that he uses. I am supposed to put; photo courtesy of central asia institute.




Anyways, the website for his charity is www.ikat.org. But I think you should read the book to really understand. It's informative, touching and mostly inspiring. I love girls and I worry about their issues all over the world, and he believes in helping them out, and I am excited.

Ok..that's all, I'm serious, please read'

2 comments:

Natalie said...

I might have to read this book! I love the new design of your blog, very cute. :D WE had a ton of fun yesterday at the park and Enoch slept REALLY well last night.

Lara said...

I've wanted to read this book, but, is it sad? I hate sad books and I've been avoiding it because it seemed like it might be a tear-jerker. Please advise. :)