Leelou Blogs

Monday, December 6, 2010

Disenchanted

O.k., I know the big news story before the election was that Americans feel disenchanted with politics. I didn't, I mean I role my eyes at the news stories as much as the next guy, but I just saw people fighting for way different political extremes.

However, I am pretty disenchanted at the "deal" that Obama and some other Democrats have struck with Republicans. I thought we all wanted less debt right? Hey didn't the Republicans campaign on that? It's a bunch of crap.

It seems the Republicans are straining their necks to protect a few superwealthy people and little attention to actually reducing the debt. I think the Democrats are selling out too. They should have held out to tax the wealthy. I think the Republicans would have eventually caved. All this for stupid unemployment? I know it's a problem now, but I think the debt is a way bigger problem. I'm for protecting the weak, but my kids are becoming the weak now! Who steps into this world with such a bad debt problem. At least they should have the chance to run it up in their time, right? I waited for the stimulus to help and am even chearful about there still being American car compaines, but this is too much for me.


I personally would like to see a deal where the superwealthy pay a little more taxes, and unemployment although necessary, should have a limit. I don't know the ins and outs, but from what I read, people can be on it for years in the current system. That's too much. I know some great people on unemployment right now, but I think alot of them might agree to a limit- like not years!

I attempted to change my affilition from Independent to Democrat towards the end of the last election, but it was a little more work than I intended and I let it go. I'm glad now, niether party has earned my respect. Democrats, you passed Health Care, but that won't win me over indefinately.

This deal is totally crappy.

6 comments:

LeAnne said...

I am on unemployment and I agree with you for the most part. For sure I am grateful for the unemployment right now but I would not want to be on it for years. Why can't we tax the wealthy and use that money to stimulate the economy and create more jobs. It really sucks that it has to be such a tug of war game. That no decisions can be made just because it's the right thing to do, even if both sides agree. Every decision has some sort of angle, and strings attached.

I too have never affiliated with any party. I voted for Obama and still think he was the best choice at the time but there is a LOT more change that needs to happen.

Oveson's said...

Just a thought from an accountant. If you tax the wealthy they will still get their money, they just wont give raises, benefits, etc... to their employees. Also they wont invest so the poor people with good ideas wont get the loans they need to develop them. That is why they want to lower taxes because they know that it will help the economy. I don't agree with either party all the time but with respect to the debt, the best way to limit it would be to stop spending money.

Natalie said...

Agreed Stacy! Why can't we just work on the debt? Get rid of it and be a better, more solid country? With so many "intelligent" people running this country, why can't they come up with a solution?

Stacy said...

Honestly, I know the Republicans say that if you tax the wealthy it trickles down. But I would like a detailed report showing the money "trickling down" from tax savings. Maybe you can show me the proof, because most of what I know is that the economy still sucks with their current savings. As far as reinvesting, I wonder if most of our stimulus come from the American wealthy, or foreign wealth, that isn't taxed by us? Also, wages are also mostly determined by competition and what people will work for, I don't think it's a whim of a millionaire. Hey maybe if the Republicans stop immigration and cheap labor, it will force labor costs to go up and then they can spend their tax savings on higher wages.
Your argument sounds logical and I think that is why alot of people fall for it, but I don't think it's entirely factual. I know they will get their money how they can, but they need laborers and borrowers to help them get rich....and there is some give and take there too.

Anonymous said...

2 things. First and foremost. The "wealthy" that you speak of that you would like to tax, already have their money and will not be taxed on it regardless. The ones that are trying to earn the money (the middle class) that are trying to get there are the ones that are going to be most affected by the taxing.
And the "trickle down effect" is best seen in construction. Our remodeling projects were almost put on hold because of all the prices going up because of the extra taxes put into effect mid project. I know it is also not just us. Most of our contractor's employees are not making enough, and not working enough because of this.

Stacy said...

A little confused Steph on the wealthy and how they have their money and won't be taxed? I know you just had a baby and may be too tired to clarify, but I don't get how people with exisisting money won't be taxed? Too broad. I don't think the wealthy get their money and it sits... I think most of them know to make their money earn them more right? It still benefits them even if a portion, even 1/3 get's taxed. I heard it on the radio, but I'm pretty sure they are currently taxed at 15 percent...an all time low since up to the 1950's when they were taxed at 40 percent. I also read that the US is a really good place, that the wealthy have some of the lowest tax rates in the world. Which makes me wonder, how come China owns so much of the US tax debt. Why not at least our wealthy? Anyways, I just don't believe that our only way to get out of debt is too keep their taxes low and pray the economy gets better. I mean my understanding is that it was some greed and lies that ran rampant on wall street helped us get in this mess. (Not entirely, but some)
All while having low tax rates. I don't think it's working.