You know I hate it when a word gets used in the press too much. Civility is sure a popular word now, so I hope I don't grow to hate it....but I want to share something I am glad I learned lately.
It all started by listing to a show called "Fresh Air" on National Public Radio why I waited outside my kids school. During this time, they always speak to new authors or actors of movies coming out. Some guy wrote a book on manners or civility or something and I can't remember who he is or what the book is called. It's not on my list.....but, he did say something that I can't get off my mind.
He said that it has been shown that our ordinary every day contact with strangers does has some impact on our day and how it goes. How we get treated in public does affect our day and the days of those we come into contact with. It's been proven. So if someone is rude or kind at a store or on the road or whatever it can have a positive or negative impact on our day. It may not be the number one thing, like family relations, but it plays a role. I have never thought of it this way...but it has really made me think of what I do.
I've mostly been nice in public, but now I think even more. I am very conscious that alot of people I run into, even the unpleasant ones, are all struggling with hard life. If I let that dude in traffic, or hold the door open, or offer empathy to the cashier, hopefully in some way I know I have made their day better. This world is hard and full of hard things, and half of the time I look at the worlds problems and other peoples problems and I feel so small and helpless and inadequate, but lately I feel very purposeful walking around this world and just being kind, even in traffic.
So that is what I want to share with the 2 or so people that may read this waning and barely posted blog. :)....it's good to know.
Thursday, January 27, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment